Thursday, August 12, 2010

Press your fabric while you sew? No Way!

Well, at least that's what I thought when I first started sewing. If you are a beginner seamstress who hates to press your fabric at the seams during the dress making process, you are in for a surprise. And that is when you actually try sewing with pressed seams for the very first time! Until then you don't know what you are missing. 

How do I know? because I've been there. First few weeks of my learning curve, I ignored the advice of my tutor, Judith Neukam of Threads Magazine (Did you know? she gives free lessons. Click here) and tried sewing without using an iron to press my seams at all. Everything was okay, except that you could clearly tell this was not the finest of the needle and fabric creations, it wouldn't even pass dollar store quality. Who wants to spend 2 hours on a sewing machine just to come up with a carelessly made piece of clothing? I don't. I would rather give 10 more minutes of pressing and get a nicely done dress or a pair of pants. 

Go on. Press your seams as you sew. It's worth the effort. Here is a picture of a dress I made for BN.

And here is a beauuuuuutiful peacock from my local zoo. It's gorgeous. 



Until next time.
Bye. 


No comments:

Post a Comment